This is mind-blowing:
America’s gun homicide rate is 25 TIMES HIGHER than other developed countries.
Really pissed Trump is blaming the latest school shooting on mental health without even acknowledging access to guns is way too easy. ONLY 4-6% of people who commit criminal gun violence are mentally ill. Thanks for adding to mental health stigma, Tr*mp.
Stuff you can do:
- Sign a petition to tell the Senate pass the STOP School Violence Act
- Get involved with Everytown and sign a petition to keep guns away from domestic abusers
- Move to Japan (kidding) (sort of)
Feeling very pastel-pink-yellow-blue, California, soft flowy hippie, vintage florals ‘n’ daisies, faded embroidered jeans with a flowy white top:
kinda the opposite of rock ‘n’ roll joan jett dark edgy shit.
Inspired by the Washington Post’s In/Out list, here’s mine, which boils down to “out with trying so hard to be a badass; in with being a softy”:
|Out with…||In with…|
|Irish coffee||Green tea with honey and lemon|
|Hot pink hair||Bleached blonde|
|Black lace-up jeans||Faded embroidered mom jeans|
|Ankle boots||Clogs and mary janes|
|Snarling and glowering||Naps and hugs|
(I mean, who wouldn’t want their seasonal style aesthetic to be “weeping openly in a coffeeshop”?!)
Wut’s yer 2018 style vibe?
I started watching Supergirl because the #Supercorp ship…ment (shipment? ship?) crossed my Tumblr dashboard [yes I realize I sound 14, which is fine cuz that’s how old I am inside anyway], so the show seemed to have delightful lesbian subtext. Halfway through the first season, I have yet to see anything gay, but I HAVE fallen in love with Supergirl’s apartment.
(warner bros. via kansas city star)
I read an article saying the show is basically millennial wish-fulfillment, and at least in terms of her apartment, it’s true–despite working as a measly assistant, Kara has a huge, breezy loft with exposed brick and floor-to-almost-ceiling windows framed by flowing white curtains:
The overall vibe is kinda shabby-chic, eclectic, Anthropologie store, with a mint-and-cream color palette. Lots of white pillar candles. Some green paisley (decidedly unhip but consistent with the superhero’s sweet temperament).
Somehow it’s large and airy yet cozy, industrial yet soft. There’s a splash of retro too, with a rotary phone and typewriter, but nothing too hipster. Very friendly and accessible, not cooler-than-thou. There’s kind of a flea market/thrift store/cottage vibe? A little bit farmhouse, a little bit “I went to Mumbai in college.” (Maybe more World Market than Anthro? Just spitballing here.)
Often when I’m watching I get distracted by scoping out her apartment and ignore the actual, you know, plot. I think it’s soothing because it touches on a recurring theme/lesson I’m trying to learn: It feels really good to worry less what other people think. I mean, I’d NEVER be caught dead with paisley in my place…but maybe I should give it a whirl! Some of the places I’ve felt most comfortable have been dated and un-trendy. They feel HONEST. It’s like the room/building let its guard down, so I can too. If there’s anywhere in the world you should be able to let down your defenses, it’s your home, right? Maybe that’s a good goal for 2018: embrace the unhip! (Or just…more soft lighting.)
I mean if Oprah can do it, right?!
IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER…
- the Kaylor fandom on Tumblr
- Floss Gloss nail polish (my nails currently look like a disco ball thanks to Mo)
- Women Who Love Too Much. life. changing.
- the Headspace app. started meditating this spring and digging it.
- the Shakespeare room at the Sylvia Beach Hotel
- seeing Tove Lo with Jake
- GLOW on netflix
- seeing Radiohead live for the first time
- a trip to Sante Fe (sisser + SUN!)
- getting a cat tattoo (how it took me this long i don’t know)
- going to Cape Disappointment after getting dumped #friendship
- karaoke. cure for what ails ya
- a one-night improv class
- soaking. pools. (aka drinking in a ginormous hot tub)
- Shakespeare in the Park
- an escape room
- an eclipse wedding
- bath bombs
- a girls’ escape here and a “secret” passageway
- a murder mystery party
- rainbow everything
- Cougar Town
- Stash mango passionfruit tea
- “Create a life that feels good on the inside, not one that just looks good on the outside.”
- “Do no harm but take no shit.”
- my boo ❤
- comfy comfy pink danskos
- stars hearts sprinkles and watermelons
- ethical/fair trade fashion via kell
- darling distraction
- my pink artificial christmas tree
happy hollydays to youuuuu!
“Success” as we think of it will not make you happy. Well, maybe it will, but only for a fleeting moment. It’s great to have dreams, ambition & a goal—but what I’ve realized is that you often miss out on life & real living when you’re too focused on one particular thing. The beauty is in the process of the thing you’re creating, whatever that may be. Don’t forget to connect with friends, family, community, nature & yourself / your inner world—that’s where the real magic is! Slow down.
–electronic musician Kelly Lee Owens (via)
creep my other journal entries here